The Traditional 10 Tips for Better Health
- Don't smoke. If you can, stop. If you can't, cut down.
- Follow a balanced diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables.
- Keep physically active.
- Manage stress by, for example, talking things through and making time to relax.
- If you drink alcohol, do so in moderation.
- Cover up in the sun, and protect children from sunburn.
- Practice safer sex.
- Take up cancer screening opportunities.
- Be safe on the roads; follow the Highway Code.
- Learn the First Aid ABCs: airways, breathing, circulation.
Ten Tips for Staying Healthy - Gordon, David, 1999
- Don't be poor. If you can, stop. If you can't, try not to be poor for long.
- Don't have poor parents.
- Own a car.
- Don't work in a stressful, low paid manual job.
- Don't live in damp, low quality housing.
- Be able to afford to go on a foreign holiday and sunbathe.
- Practice not losing your job and don't become unemployed.
- Take all benefits you are entitled to if you are unemployed, retired or sick or disabled.
- Don't live next to a busy major road or near a polluting factory.
- Learn how to fill in the complex housing benefit/asylum application forms before you become homeless and destitute.
Source: Raphael, D. 2000. The question of evidence in health promotion. Health Promotion International 15:355-67. Table 3, "The role of ideology in health promotion."